Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's on you

In the last twenty years I only voted in two presidential elections. Four years ago I voted against the obnoxious Michael Moore left and cast a ballot for W, voting against my Central Austin neighbors with their Impeach Bush stickers. And, first, in 1988, when I came back from basic training, and voted for his father.

I sat out the 90s, cynical, and still complained, believing the line about if you don't vote, you can't complain was utter bullshit. (I still believe that actually)



When I cast my vote for Obama in the Illinois primaries it was more a vote against Clinton than for Obama. On that snowy day in Skokie, I still had respect for McCain.

When I go to downtown New Market, past all the McCain-Palin, signs, and vote against, once again, in the minority, I won't be voting against anyone.

Once in your lifetime, you can lose the cynicism, fear, and apathy and believe again, if only for a little while.

It doesn't hurt, much. At least not right now.

Do the Right Thing.

No comments: