My Thinkpad's started dying today, so after doing the long slow drive wipe to what was left, I tried OpenSUSE 11 (64 Bit) Gnome LiveCD, and here the first impressions:
- Much prettier than Ubuntu, I like all the green (vs. the Ubuntu brown)
- First Linux distro to get the resolution right through the GUI for a widescreen flat screen with my Thinkpad (only got display mirroring
- Wireless worked flawlessly
- Compiz worked flawlessly and snappily (although sound died after it installed)
- Gstreamer plugins (for Totem) worked if a bit clumsily and Flash plugin auto installation failed (in contrast to Gutsy and Hardy)
- Seems snappier, not sure if that is the 64 bit kicking in (always been too conservative) about that.
- Repository auto updates have improved significantly since the last time I used SUSE much