Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hardy Heron Beta and T-61: Pretty Much the Perfect Laptop



With all my whiny blogs lately I figured I'd do something positive for a change. A few weeks ago I took the plunge with the Hardy Heron (the next LTS) release and it definitely had a few rough spots, but at least on my T-61 it is definitely the best distro I've tried so far and things have been pretty stable, especially give the hundreds of package updates to core components since then. Performance is improve. Suspend and hibernate work perfectly now without any special hacking. This is was not the case with Gutsy. Wireless/Network Manager seems much more reliable. And then there are few security features. Ubuntu finally has a firewall (/etc/init.d/ufw) which isn't enabled yet in my build. GPG is integrated into the desktop. You can right-click to encrypt/sign files. Java installed perfectly when I went to Hushmail. Flash did, too. And the fonts, there seems to be big improvements there as well.

See the wiki page for the complete list of stuff and keep the Ubuntu spirit alive!

But what's up with "wintry mix" of rain and snow around tax time?!?

No comments: