Wednesday, March 19, 2008

First Strike: An Oldie But a Goodie



I know I saw this either in Basic Training or more likely in "Common Block" at Goodfellow AFB as motivation cross our zeros or slash our sevens or something..

My favorite line (From the young-ass 1LT in a missle silo), "so you gonna go out with me tonight... thought we'd check out the hacienda... maybe even let you treat?" Damn Zoomies always had it easy. Put their hands in their pockets. Of course Nerve agent or "Yellow Rain" (having grown up on Edgewood Arsenal and driven by all those barbed-wire encircled buildings with the funny smoke stacks) and the thought of wearing MOPP4 is a hell of a lot more frightening than instant incineration.

But the good thing about "the enemy" back in the day (if you buy this whole story) is everybody (or at least a few million) is a goner. Now it's like somebody pops a dirty bomb off in Alexandria or a suicide bomber visits the Las Vegas strip, you'll probably be fine, except your CSCO shares go back in the single digits or your 401k is toast.

I think I prefer MAD.

I wonder if kids these days even find this stuff compelling like I used to. Hell it scares me still. Certainly more than any 3 AM call.

No comments: