Friday, August 01, 2008

Lua is Not Perl so It Must Be OK (or maybe not!)

I'd heard of Lua before, but this week I kept on hearing about it and I have nothing better to do while waiting outside my daughter's door hoping, praying, she'll finally get to sleep.

Lua 5.0.3 Copyright (C) 1994-2006 Tecgraf, PUC-Rio
> print "blah"
blah
> print "blah"
blah
> d = [1,3,4]
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near `['
> d = (1,3,4)
stdin:1: `)' expected near `,'
> d = { 1,3,4 }
> d
>>
>> print d
stdin:3: `=' expected near `print'
> print d
stdin:1: `=' expected near `d'
> d
>> puts
stdin:2: `=' expected near `puts'
> print (d)
table: 0x8062df8
> type(d)
>
> print type(d)
stdin:1: `=' expected near `type'
> print (type(d))
table


The parentheses are weird, but I actually sort of like it, it feels sort of Pythonic but I'm sure its not so off to the Tutorials!

A few minutes later.

Yuck, but OO is bloody awful and after doing Ruby anything with __ just feels dirty, even Python.

OK, there is not point in bothering with Lua, but for a minute there it looked interested.

Move on, nothing to see here.

No comments: