Friday, September 14, 2007

The Men of SCADA Security (June Edition)



It's been a hectic week (and breathing too much filtered data-center air has not only given me a cough but also clouded my judgement) but thanks to Dale for making my night.

You must check this shit out.
It’s 2 a.m. at a major industrial facility, and about 20 yards from the rear perimeter, two figures dressed in full camouflage gear are slinking along the tree line just outside the plant fence. They’re wearing backpacks and carrying various paraphernalia, pausing occasionally to peer through night vision monoculars to scan the plant perimeter.

Although this was strangely reminiscent of the whole man that saved the internet farce, I guess this is good marketing within the parochial SCADA security community where everything is about a decade behind the rest of the security world.

But who I am to be judgmental? If this guess if it gets Ty and Jonathan more assessment dollars, good for them! But I wonder how much someone would have to pay me to wear BDU pants again and don a black T-shirt holding a laptop. But not the hard hats.

By the way, this reminds me of spot on parody of the whole para-military/martial-arts attitude of computer security folks in season 2 of the UK office, which is also a must watch.

No comments: