Monday, August 10, 2009

Lessons from Netflix Culture: The 9 Behaviors & Skills



While some folks were making a big deal about the fact that Netflix doesn't have a formal vacation/time off program (and I've actually worked at a place like that before) what caught me eye from the presentation was the 9 behaviors and skills.

Notice they don't use the term "values," probably because values seem to imply things that you just have (or are) vs. things you can learn or be taught.

The 9 values they define are judgment, communication, impact, curiosity, innovation, courage, passion, honesty, and selflessness.

I really encourage you to drill down and look at the bullet points. I'm sure you'll find some you do well at and others where you need some work. I know I did.

I picked 9 of the ones I found the most interesting and important. And folks that have worked with me before know that some of these I'm pretty good at, while others continue to be a work in progress:

  • You exhibit bias-to-action, and avoid analysis paralysis.
  • You listen well, instead of reacting fast, so you can better understand.
  • You make tough decisions without excessive agonizing.
  • You say what you think even if it is controversial.
  • You contribute effectively outside your specialty.
  • You smartly separate what must be done well now, and what can be improved later.
  • You make time to help colleagues.
  • You think strategically, and can articulate, what you are, and are not, trying to do
  • You treat people with respect independently of their status or disagreement with you.


  • Yep, there are some tough ones in there and there is a lot more gold these 128 slides that reinforced by my experience in small and large companies alike.

    (NOTE: If you register for a slideshare account you can download a .pptx version and print them out for you cube/office wall like I did.)

    No comments: