Saturday, October 13, 2007

The point of my CIAG Research RIP Post?


I noticed from my web logs that some folks in Austin are looking for my blog entry on the demise of CIAG Research, where I used it work. Yeah, I pulled it down.

One reason was due to the Dark Reading article which I was shocked to see, since this story was hardly industry news. And nothing compared to the re-org's and layoffs at Cisco that occurred in 2001 during the "hundred year flood" (as John Chambers called it) and continued as various product lines and groups were shut down. And I heard there were quite a few other other teams that were impacted at the end of the FY, including a decent size product group in San Jose I had worked with.

Another reason I pulled down the post was is I think some readers may have missed the point. Although my comments within the content of the closing down of a group I had been part of, they were more on the sort of teams that I wanted to work in based on some hard-learned lessons. One of those is, watch out if you take cool jobs in groups that are out of whack with the overall company's mission. You shouldn't be surprised if it gets the axe. Hell, these days, even if you are are in a group that is properly aligned, you still might get re-orged or outsourced. We are in "get lean" Tom Peters world. Even your high paying security job can vanish before your eyes (of course you can get a new one, but that is not the point). Companies, teams, your own careers hav life cycles you need to be attuned to...
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
to quote The Second Coming (whether or not it applies)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt, some of these things ought to be longer term investments. I'll think long and hard about using Cisco gear in my plant if I'm to secure my plant DCS or SCADA system.

Yes, I know, at the end of the day, the functions are all very similar. However, the people who look at the end results are not. There is a cultural bridge to be made, and I don't see how Cisco is helping themselves by disbanding CIAG