Sunday, October 28, 2007

Gutsy Gibbon on Thinkpad T-61: First Impressions




So I'm using the Gutsy Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10) LiveCD on my Thinkpad right now and I'm quite impressed. I assume much of the stuff that didn't work was because it was a LiveCD? Not sure. In any case this is a significant jump over what I've got with Debian Etch

What worked?
  • Sound card
  • 1440x900 Resolution in X
  • Adobe Flash installation (after adjusting synaptic)
  • Intel 4965 Wireless Card with WPA Personal
  • Brightness Controls

What didn't work?
  • Sun Java5/Java6 Installation
  • Flash Installation
  • Multiple Displays weren't autodetected (not sure if Linux can even do this)
  • Fancy Desktop effects (who cares, since I'll probably install xfce anyway)
What sort of worked?
  • Suspend (on resume screen was really dim)
  • Volume controls (they showed up on the screen but it didn't impact XMMS)

No comments: