Saturday, April 07, 2007

Are there any actively maintained ramdisk distros in 2007 that use 2.6.x?

Back in the day. Everybody did them. Hell, even I had one called Trinux: A Linux Security Toolkit which I maintained from from 1998 to 2004. There was LRP, tomsrtbt, FREESCO, HAL91, and many others. A

ll before Knoppix came and spoiled the party with their fancy talk of remastering and compressed filesystems and running from CD-ROM.

But where are they now? Devil Linux had a recent release but it uses 2.4.x. Most other became dormant in 2003-2004.

Basically I need a convenient platform for running some network tools like The Click Modular Router Project.

Am I going to have to bring Trinux back from the dead?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trinux never was dead. I build AIRR on it, my diskless ethernet music player with InfraRED remote control. It boots fast from a single floppy, then no hardware noise at all (no ventilators), only MUSIC. Never been published, as it depends on specific hardware (soundcard, ethernetcard). Pentium 100, 32 Mb RAM. Software & MUSIC can be loaded from any http-server.
Thank you 4ever 4 Trinux-code, Franz!
Arne de Boer