Monday, March 17, 2008

Easy CentoOS 4.6 Network Installation

With a few exceptions (having to use Cisco Enterprise Linux for a project or two, and few torrid affairs with SuSE) ever since about 2001, I've been mostly faithly to Debian-based distributions. One of the things that has bothered me about RPM distros is the network installs, or lack thereof. Sure you can do it (I did on an old-world PPC Mac using YellowDog Linux) but it is not as straightforward as Debian network installs.

For me the only reason you'd use and infererior RedHat-based distros is if you had commercial products that required RHEL. Well now im in that situation, so CentOS 4.6 it is, and its not as hard as I thought.

  1. Find the boot.iso on one of the mirrors (it should be located in centos/4/os/i386/images/) I used http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/os/i386/images/boot.iso
  2. Choose text linux at the boot loader
  3. Select HTTP install
  4. For the IP address enter the name of your mirror (I used isoredirect.centos.org) and the path (/centos/4/os/i386/) and it should find everything you need
That's it...

No comments: